For Parents: Understanding
Assistive Technology in Mamaroneck
Understanding Assistive Technology (AT) in General (These sites do as good a job as we could in providing a good overview!):
- Universal Design for Learning (not quite assistive technology, but a vital framework for thinking about AT)
- Assistive Technology and Learning Disabilities:
How to think about Assistive Technology (AT) in Mamaroneck
- Consider general barriers to learning. First, consider tools, resources, and strategies that are readily accessible. Talk with your child's teacher about how alternatives in the classroom may help address difficulties your child is having.
(Learn more at: Universal Design for Learning.)
- Get in touch with the Mamaroneck .
- Contact the district assistive technology specialist. I'd love to talk with you.
- Know about the services and devices available in the district:
- Consults and assessments. In addition to your being able to contact and talk with the AT specialist, teachers can also request informal consults with the AT specialist. If your child has a 504 or IEP, you could discuss with the team the possibility of conducting and AT assessment.
- Assistive Technology Library. The Mamaroneck school district maintains an AT loan library that provides access to a range of assistive technology. With the library, students can try out a variety of devices in order to find the device that is right for them. If a device is a good fit, then it can be signed out to them immediately, without our having to wait for the purchase of a necessary device. The AT library consists of a range of low to high tech devices. The following, in no particular order, is a sample of the library's content:
- Augmentative-Alternative Commmunication Apps and Devices
- iPad Apps
- Audio Recorder
- Braille Embosser
- Co:Writer Universal
- Digital Camera
- Dragon V12
- Ear Muff
- Electronic Dictionary
- iPad / iPad Mini / iPod
- iPad Case w/ Keyboard
- Adaptive Keyboard
- Lego WeDo / Mindstorms Construction Set
- Livescribe Pen
- mp3 Player
- Read&Write for Google
- C-Pen Reader
- Watch Minder